Peer Reviewed Publications
Mbewe, E., and Chavula, J., (2020). On Performance Impact of DoH and DoT in Africa: Why a User’s DNS choice matters, Proceedings of e-Infrastructure and e-Services for Developing Countries. AFRICOMM 2020. Lecture Notes of the Institute for Computer Sciences, Social Informatics and Telecommunications Engineering, vol 311. Springer, Cham (ACCEPTED)
Phokeer, A., Chavula, J., Johnson, D., Densmore, M., Tyson, G., Sathiaseelan, A. and Feamster, N., 2019, January. On the potential of Google AMP to promote local content in developing regions. In 2019 11th International Conference on Communication Systems & Networks (COMSNETS) (pp. 80-87). IEEE.
Calandro, E., Chavula, J. and Phokeer, A., 2018, November. Internet development in Africa: a content use, hosting and distribution perspective. In International Conference on e-Infrastructure and e-Services for Developing Countries (pp. 131-141). Springer, Cham.
Chavula, J., Phokeer, A. and Calandro, E., 2018, November. Performance Barriers to Cloud Services in Africa’s Public Sector: A Latency Perspective. In International Conference on e-Infrastructure and e-Services for Developing Countries (pp. 152-163). Springer, Cham.
Formoso, A., Chavula, J., Phokeer, A., Sathiaseelan, A., and Tyson, G (2018). Deep Diving into Africa’s Inter-Country Latencies. In 37th IEEE Joint Conference on Computer Communications (INFOCOM), Honolulu, HI. [Acceptance Rate: 19%] [Best Presentation Award]
Chavula, Josiah, Amreesh Phokeer, Agustin Formoso and Nick Feamster (2017) An insight into Africa’s country-level latencies. In Proceedings IEEE AFRICON 2017, Cape Town. (Outstanding Paper Award)
Chavula, J., Densmore, M., & Suleman, H. (2016). Using SDN and Reinforcement Learning for Traffic Engineering in UbuntuNet Alliance. Proceedings of 3rd International Conference on Advances in Computing & Communication Engineering (ICACCE 2016), Durban, South Africa.
Yang, C., Chavula, J., & Suleman, H. (2016). A Topology Visualisation Tool for National Research and Education Networks in Africa. In Proceedings of IST-Africa 2016 Conference, Durban, South Africa.
Sanby, R., Chavula, J., & Suleman, H. (2016). “Efficient Topology Discovery for African NRENs. In Proceedings of IST-Africa 2016 Conference, Durban, South Africa.
Chavula, J., Densmore, M., & Suleman, H. (2015). Reducing Latency in African NRENs Using Performance-based LISP/SDN Traffic Engineering. Proceedings of 7th International Conference on Networks & Communications (NETCOM 2015), pp. 83-98, Sydney, Australia.
Chavula, J., Feamster, N., Bagula, A., & Suleman, H. (2014, November). Quantifying the Effects of Circuitous Routes on the Latency of Intra-Africa Internet Traffic: A Study of Research and Education Networks. In International Conference on e-Infrastructure and e-Services for Developing Countries (pp. 64-73). Springer International Publishing.
- African Peering Forum (AFPIF-2017- Abidjan, Cote d’Ivoire): Looking for Latency clusters in Africa
- Africa DNS Forum (07/2017, DAR-es-Salaam, Tanzania): DNS Measurements
- AFRINIC Internet Measurements Workshop (04/2017, Nairobi, Kenya): State of Internet measurement Infrastructure in Africa
- 9th Annual Symposium on Future Trends in Service-Oriented Computing, Potsdam, Germany (06/2014): Peering for the Pan-African Research and Education Networks: Challenges and Possibilities
Conference and Workshop Committees
- Chair – Technical Program Committee, AFRICOMM-2020
- Committee Member (Reviewer) for SATNAC 2019
- Workshop TPC Co-chair for Internet Measurements Research Workshop – AFRICOMM 2018
- Committee Member (Reviewer) for EAI INTERSOL 2018
- Committee Member (Reviewer) for ACM CompaSS 2018
- Workshop Co-chair for Internet Measurements Research Workshop – AFRICOMM-2017 (Lagos, Nigeria)
- Committee Member: SAICSIT-2015 ICT4D Workshop (Stellenbosch)